In January 2010, Moldova Vision and the Association merged; with a view to supporting the Moldovan Diaspora in
Moldova Vision now organizes events for the Moldovan community in Ireland, including Martisor Festival, Annual Christmas Party, Celebration of Independence Day (August), International Children's Day (June).
Since September 2009, we have supported the Moldovan Embassy in
We are a small membership and volunteer based group and would love to hear from you if you have ideas for projects or would like to get involved. Keep an eye on this blog for upcoming events and meetings.
Achievements of the Association and Moldova Vision from 2006-2010 are presented here...
- Grant of 100,000 euro to Casa Sperantei build a high spec, fully wheelchair accessible community centre in Cosnita village (Dubasari raion)
- Grant of 5,000 euro to Hippocrates Centre, Chisinau to support their work with children with physical disabilities
- Grant of 5,000 euro to ASCODE Centre, Chisinau to support its pioneering work with early intervention services for pre-school children with disabilities
- Financial and aid support to Brinduza Centre for Children at risk in Hincesti
- A small grant scheme funding projects to initiate social, economic and environmental progress in Cosnita and Susleni villages in 2009.
- Working with Moldovan nationals living in Ireland to establish the Association of the Moldovan Community in Ireland in August 2008
The AMCI Association since its establishment in 2008 has carried out a wide range of activities, many supported by Moldova Vision, including the following key achievements (2008-2010)
-Launch of Association and Celebration of Independence Day at the Teachers Club, Parnell Square (August 2008)
- Celebration of Independence day at Transylvania Restaurant (August 2009)
- Hosting Christmas Party for community (December 2008 & December 2009) to the community (October 2009)
- Donation of 100 Moldovan titles to Dublin Central Library
- Establishment of a website and blog for the community (http://www.moldova.ie/)
- Hosting Romanian language classes for children and English language classes for adults (supported by the Community Foundation for Ireland) in 2009
- Showing of Valeriu Jereghi’s short film ‘Arrivederci’ about impacts of Moldovan migration to the community (October 2009)
- Organising Martisor Festival in Temple Bar Dublin and distributing 3,000 martisoare to members of the public (March 2009)
- 2 representatives from the Moldovan Community in Ireland attended the Congress of the Moldovan Diaspora in Chisinau, Moldova (10-13 October 2008).
- 2 representatives from the community attended the COMUNISON Congress for Moldova Diaspora Groups ACUM in Rome, Italy (7-8 March 2009)
- Demonstrations and an extensive media campaign aiming to secure the right to vote in Moldova’s general elections (February-April 2009).
- Public meeting with Ambassador Natalia Solcan (Moldovan Embassy in London) about the needs of the community in Ireland (September 2009)
- Establishment of monthly Consular service in Ireland for Moldovan nationals, supported by the Embassy of Moldova in London (beginning September 2009)
- Angela & Valeriu Josan travelled to Ireland from Chisinau to perform the "Jolly Marionettes" puppet show to celebrate International Children's Day (June 2010)
- Considerable media coverage highlighting the activities and presence of Moldovans in Ireland