Please find a brief update on the progress of Fáilte Isteach (www.failteisteach.ie) which provides free English language conversational classes to migrants. Fáilte Isteach have opened five new centres in the first eight weeks of 2011 (in Gorey, Clongriffin, East Clare, Dungarvan and Trim) and has another five centres where co-ordinators are currently recruiting volunteers. These centres are based in Drogheda, Galway, Wexford, Cork City Centre and Urlingford. Fáilte Isteach expect to open these branches during March and April 2011, bringing the total number of branches in the country to forty two and a presence in fifteen counties. (Please note attached map of current Fáilte Isteach centres).
Fáilte Isteach now has a team of three full-time staff and one part-time, all of whom support a group of 420 volunteers who are offering a service to 1,100 migrant students every week.
The main points of note are the following:
· There are now 35 Fáilte Isteach centres operating in 12 counties throughout Ireland. Centres 36 and 37 open in Galway and Drogheda, on the 14th of March and the 28th March respectively.
· These centres are located in the following places: Summerhill, Dunshaughlin, Waterford, Clane, Roscommon, Inchicore, Rialto, Tramore, Balbriggan, Tullamore, Blanchardstown, Swords, Bray, Tralee, Mulhuddart, Castlebar, Mountview, Ballina, Celbridge, Kells, Athboy, Navan, Cabra, Skerries, Dunboyne, Wicklow, Kilkenny, TullamorePFG, Balally, Gorey, Trim, East Clare, Clongriffin, Dungarvan and Arklow.
· On average, 1,100 new migrant students from 57 different countries receive free English language tuition from Fáilte Isteach each week.
· There are now 420 volunteers making a contribution to their community through Fáilte Isteach.
· Fáilte Isteach is now operating in 12 counties throughout Ireland.
· By June 2011, Fáilte Isteach expects to have 40 centres in 15 counties throughout Ireland.
· Fáilte Isteach has met with groups from 22 different counties and hopes to extend its reach to these remaining counties as the Project grows in a sustainable manner in the coming months and years.
Office of the Minister for State for Integration
43-49 Mespil Road
+ 353 1647 3082